Friday, November 20, 2009

Free Hugs

At first I thought it was crazy, but then it really made me smile and think. The world would be such a better place if there were more people like this, spreading love for no other reason than to make strangers happy and make friends out of strangers. I wondered while I watched this how many people took advantage of this because they were so lonely and desperate for human connection. I wonder how this one hug may have touched and changed their lives or even saved a life, perhaps.

All too often we as human beings, myself more often than I care to admit, fail to see past our own troubles and recognize needs and pain in others. As I watched this video, I wondered what it would be like to change places with this guy and whether or not I was capable of letting myself do such a thing. Part of me would like to say yes, but the greater part of me knows the truth. I would never allow myself to reach out like this and trust complete strangers. I am too cynical for that. That makes me sad beyond measure to say, but it is true.

That I am incapable of such uninhibited joy and zest for life tells me that I am not the person that I was when I was in middle school. The person that waited her turn when the teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. That idealistic (and perhaps a touch jaded) girl that said "Happy. I just want to be happy when I grow up."

Jessica is that person, though. I have always been jealous of her for that and I have always loved her for it, too. I wish there were more people like her in the world as well. She stated that this made her cry and I can see that. It is beautiful in its simplicit message.

This morning I saw a rainbow on my way to work. No matter how crappy or depressed I feel, I simply can not resist a huge smile when I see a rainbow. Seriously, I get this warm fuzzy feeling, huge smile, and look of sheer childhood joy in my face when I see one.

Yes, me. I know that may be hard for some of you to get, but it is the truth.

I hope you guys stop to watch this and get some sort of good feeling or message from it. Anyway, here it is. Here is Jessica's link, too. She's loads of fun and I love her dearly. You simply can't get to know Jessie and not become a better person for it.

No comments: